Saturday, May 31, 2008

China-man?

Is it a derogative word? To me, I could not agree, I’m afraid. But I would like to distance myself from that, because it doesn’t suit me in any sense. If they want to say, I’m a Malaysian-man!

I’m very puzzle that EP told me that her friends (our mutual friends, although now she’s closer to them than I am) think that I’m like a ‘China-man’. If you ask me, I don’t want to take it as an insult but what they characterize me is just not correct. To my understanding, they might just be playful and joke around (it’s their style of poking people around by ‘insults’ even among themselves). If this were really their perception, they must base on their understanding that I am a Chinese-speaker, and don’t mix often with those English-speakers (Malaysian) like them. (‘Banana’ is a bad word to describe those couldn’t speak their mother tongue but mainly speak English – strange enough people don’t refer to those who speak Malay or other languages, to show English supremacy in many people’s belief)

I would like to point out the usual scenario of many Malaysian overseas students especially in big city like London. In my observation, the bigger group of Malaysian students in one university, the less tendency of students get in touch with other group of students. Geographical and language are the most important factors to set the division and polarization. This is quite obvious, on the surface, if you walk into Imperial College and see how International students group themselves. I concede that it is a natural tendency to have like-mix-with-like, as there is always a comfort zone to stay. I am being critical at times, to indicate some of my Malaysian friends who stay too comfortably in this zone, and they are less than seldom to initiate their interaction with the group outside their own. Ok, I could see that they treat asian people better, and it is more likely they could become friends, for example, Singaporean and Thai (geographical factor), and then Hong Kong people, and Mainland Chinese (language factor). But their mind is not open more globally. I’m regret for those who labeled me as ‘China-man’ (I doubt if EP said what they really mean). I’m sorry to say, I’m very proud of my mother-tongue and the fact that I could use it eloquently. I will continue to speak my own language but open my mind to improve other languages I’m learning/using. Also, I’m a truly Malaysian citizen, to me, my nationality always come first before my ethnicity. ‘China-man’ is just a false statement to fit me into the shoes. I don’t mean insult, but if I were to use that phrase to match who is among my friends who suit it the best, I would suggest Dave. It’s due to the fact that he loves China very very much, is very supportive of China’s policies, and love their food, martial arts and many more.

I know what I am doing, and aware that what have influenced and shaped me all these whiles. Although I’m not of extrovert kind of personality, I have no problem to get along and hang out with many people from various backgrounds. I feel better that way, as I treasure the experience of studying abroad better in learning people’s culture and interacting with their world. That is something valuable I would like to tell my children next time, support and encourage them to do in future. =)

No comments: