Monday, March 03, 2008

Drama continues...

Yesterday i claimed a victory. I was encouraged and inspired by my fellow comrades, suggesting to go inside the campus for many obvious reasons we could do that (try to link all of the reasons together) :

1) Public University is a public place
2) I am an Imperial College Student
3) Union Constituency has empowered individuals/ students to have freedom of expression - freedom to air any particular political views (without inciting hatred against particular religion or race).
4) Our existence there cannot be proven causing any disruption to the show on the stage.
5) Therefore i have every right to be there, and Malaysian Society cannot claim that space (which is not the venue) to be theirs, unless they show black-and-white written proofs to prove otherwise.
6) Everytime we encounter people, we made it clear by clarifying what we did has nothing to do with Malaysian Society (by saying out or showing the placard we created)
7) People have their rights not to accept our flyers or even throw it away in their free will. We do not and cannot force people.

In that way, we started our operation with a group of 8 people backing, including my German coursemate around 6.30pm (which is our bad Malaysian timing, as we scheduled to be there by 6pm). 10 minutes later, that Hazwan Hadian which i mentioned that day, came alone to confront me. He shouted: " This is MY malaysian society! This is MY Malaysia Night! YOU guys cannot do this here, YOU don't have MY APPROVAL!"
I don't know whether it was because of psychology reason with a stronger backing behind me, i firmly stressed that the reasons above, sounded no compromising. Just at the end of my last note, he was seen clearly pissed off, and left the ground without lashing out any word again.

It is what my friends said to me, reason by reason, has awaken me from defending my rights and not letting people easily taking away from me. My friends, one of them is lawyer-to-be, and another is an experienced student activist. I feel very grateful to them, for giving me another lesson. I am always glad to have friends who are lawyers, and they often remind me how to argue on the grounds of rights i have. I just don't know how and why i overlooked the situation, and be nice to people who become more aggressive. The day before was putting just the two of us purely psychologically inferior to that guy. Maybe i was lack of experience, or i did not know how to handle the stress and fear created by intimidation and aggression. That was my weakness. Now i learned.

That night, we all finished distributing the leaflets we had printed. Some of us (like me) went into the hall just to sit down and watch the show. The mission is considered accomplished, despite the fact that we lost more than 50% of audience before we arrived.

Consciously i know why am i doing what i did. I could not bear the general attitude of students , which many of them are scholarship holders, do not bother to care about the issues back in our homeland, and become political apathetic. Do they know why are they sent here, by using taxpayers' money? Even though you may not want to be at the front line for the activity, it does not mean you should avoid that altogether. We all share equal burden for building a better country! Whatever your political belief is, it is better than you have none!!! We are now overseas higher educated students, we shall be the one that our society highly regards and put hopes upon us to contribute better ideas about how the country should run and in which direction it should be going. We shall show more quality and do better than the self-belief that if we cannot change anything so let it be.

No comments: