Thursday, March 13, 2014

New Direction, New Life in Penang

I have been inactive on FB for sometimes, maybe many of you guys are not informed -- I'm back to Malaysia for good, after I obtained my doctorate degree in Infection Biology 2 days prior to the beginning of the recent Chinese new year. And now it is already into the third week of my new job in Penang Institute as a senior analyst in the Economic studies cluster. My move has certainly raised some eyebrows and some might even have questions for me.

The most common one is, why did I choose to come back to Malaysia?  There is already a brain-drain situation happening here in Malaysia where people have the perception that once someone left the country to go overseas to further studies or to develop their career, is bound to stay there and subsequently apply for PR and maybe eventually adopt the citizenship of that nation. For your information, I have spent 4 years in London, UK for my undergraduate and master degree studies, and then another 4 years in Hannover, Germany for my PhD degree studies. In a total span of more than 8 years abroad, it is already kind of a living experience to stay in Europe.  Sure I would miss those wonderful days sometimes. As my age is lapsing into 30 (‘milestone?’), many factors for consideration I have to think about. So to decide where I would want to be for a foreseeable future, I have to ask myself what do I see in myself for career and family.  These two are the main reasons for the homecoming.

Higher paid salary, higher standard of living and more efficient delivery of public service and social system are in place in developed countries such as UK and Germany than in Malaysia , I have no doubt about that. Along with the PR status, these are just externalities to me. What concerns me more is the aspiration for my career, a job which can satisfy my ambition and ideals.  And I have also made a promise (a proposal) to xiao hui to start a family here back in our homeland.

Another question would surface among many is, why switching to another field after graduated as a PhD in biomedical science? Someone who is close to me would probably understand that, although I was a scientifically trained researcher, I have diverse and wide arrays of interests in many areas, in particular in socio-politics. I know where my potential and my strength are, so I do not want to restrict my ability just by doing science in the laboratories. I want to take the path in which fewer people would venture into, to make an impact and contribute to the causes I believe in. It is not like I abandon or do not want to advance my field, I just consider that I can contribute myself better in another track with my potential and special abilities, beyond being just another researcher in a biological laboratory.

On the other hand, maybe some would presume or expect that I would be involved directly in political party politics. Nope, that is not what I intend to pursue. I would never say never, but at best at this moment I do not consider. I would like to continue improving myself in terms of knowledge and skills, as an academician/ academic researcher. At the forefront of ‘Reformasi’ and ‘Ubah’ socio-political movements, our nation does not lack sincere and passionate individuals and active politicians in party politics. I would like to commit myself further to the movements by putting down my action, and transferring my doctorate expertise to policymaking. What is there we call a change of government and then a good hope for future, if we do not have good quality researches on better public policies in all areas affecting our daily life? Politicians definitely need those inputs also, as they have so many activities to attend to and they need to be well informed to carry out their responsibilities (and don’t forget sometimes they are also busy embroiled in party politics and at the same time firefighting for the local issues, too). That is why I join Penang Institute, the think-tank for Penang state government, to communicate intellectually with the general public and interested parties about inspiring ideas which could transform and improve our daily life. “Making ideas work” is the motto for Penang Institute, also what I believe in. For new politics, we need new flourishing ideas to make things work much better in terms of effectiveness, efficiency and the creation of happiness.

Although my principal interests lie in healthcare reform and scientific development, upon joining Penang Institute I first take the position under the Economic studies cluster. Why? This is a golden opportunity for me to learn and acquire one of the most important and powerful tools in policymaking, which is finance and economics. As all public policies would definitely involve cost and benefits analysis, I cannot allow myself to be ignorant in economics if I would like to be effective in formulating better policies in future, especially in my areas of interest. Healthcare improvement and scientific development do require a large sum of budget. The training and the transferable skill sets I acquired from my previous discipline has not gone to waste, they are still very relevant to this very job I just started.

The next possible question is, why Penang, and not KL-Klang valley (my hometown) or Singapore (where my fiancée is currently working and living). The fact is that, just when I saw the job opportunity from Penang Institute came to me, I just could not resist the temptation and let it pass because it is just so close to what I really would like to do. To relocate to Penang is not a problem and I quite like this place.  Right now I stay at the southern part of the island (Relau, Bayan Lepas), where there is still plenty of lush greenery and 3 sides surrounded by hills. The immediate environment is nice and the air is fresher than in KL. Even at the peak of rush hour traffic, a car trip would normally only take about 45 minute, and a (RapidPenang) bus trip takes about the same amount of time plus 12 minute walk to the institute. So it is quite a good place to stay and to work and I might even consider settling down here for longer term if xiao hui and I are happy with the living experience here in Penang.

Being able to relocate here to embark on my new life journey, I would like to dedicate my thanks to my fiancée and my mum for their continuous loving support, and their understanding. I would like to thank Penang Institute also for giving me the opportunity to prove my worth even though I might pose an uncertainty or a risk just because I am from the outside field and untested. Of course I have to thank my dad for the financial supports all these years, enable to free myself from many financial constraints for job consideration, so that I would not have to think about the ‘return’ for his education ‘investment’ in me until master degree (for phd studies, I had a scholarship and was financially self-sufficient when I was in Germany). I consider myself lucky in this, so I have no excuse for not pursuing my ideal career path and realising my potential in making positive changes and contributions for better Malaysia!

People might think that patriotism is the powerful call attracting overseas talents return home to contribute. I beg to differ. While I would not say I am not patriotic or doing this because I am patriotic, I think my decision for homecoming is really beyond patriotic sentiment. It is more towards what I can do and want to do back here in the homeland, and what (legacy) do I want to achieve in the end. If I were a very enthusiastic scientific lab researcher in the previous track, it would serve me better should I stay in Europe for further academic development (the default route: Post-doc, fellow/small group leader, associate professor, and professorship). I would not do the same thing in Malaysia, due to many surrounding negative factors and inferior environment which I do not think I could change as a scientist. But now my current job empowers me to make the necessary changes, so that next time I want to make sure the scientific and academic environment here in Malaysia is more conducive for returning talents.

In addition, I also want to do the right things and fight for what I really believe in, for the love of my family and my future family, my friends, my relatives and larger communities and finally extending to the whole nation. I want to see a significant improvement in our living standard and life quality. I want to see, finally there are reasons for a smile on everyone’s face; until all people reside on this blessed land call this place home and continue living happily ever after (while still actively participating in matters matter to them). Reformasi spirit and the fire still live deep inside of me, I strive for democracy and social justice. I want to make sure our political system is reformed until the currently endemic corruption and the blatantly abused state power are no more there as the source of unhappiness to all of our people.

1 comment:

lkf said...

Glad to read this.