Wednesday, August 10, 2011

History has no 'What if's

Today is Singapore National Day. Xiao Hui sounded and looked obviously upbeat and happy about this, told me about the National Parade they had, what she watched from TV and how much she feels for her country at that moment. That is very good for her, simply means that her country does her proud.

Most probably I do or will not feel the same joy as her when the Independence day, Aug 31st, comes (to me, Malaysia day Sept 16th may sound a bit positive than that), because we have not been ‘liberated’. Since I know and learn more about my own country, the current state and the past (history), when I was into my high school period, Hari Kemerdekaan has not really been ‘celebrated’.Although there is always National Parade traditionally held in Mederka Square, I do not bother to watch. The official celebration event is losing its meaning. The speeches from the leaders of the nation are usually superficial and full of rhetorics anything but touch or resonate with my heart.  Words are sometimes okay, but speaking from their mouth about Unity, Racial Harmony, Peace, Patriotism , the beautiful Country and People, Dynamic Society & Culture Diversity, Meaning of Independence Day, etc... just hypocrisy. I don't deny on the ground, most Rakyat do recognise those elements i spelled out above and feel for that. But these leaders are the least qualified persons to speak about those values. So, it is not that I am not proud or love my country, just that the way the government/authority defines/dictate the celebration, and more importantly how dissatisfy i am about how they run/ govern the country.

In fact, I still regret and hate that, it is my current and past but the SAME government had to abandon, separate or simply let go a part of the land called Singapore about 46 years ago, just because of politics, really nothing more than political consideration or decision. No one would like to see that happened, even most Malayans and Singaporeans that time, except those UMNO racist warlords who had ran out of ideas to stop or prevent the spread of influence and ideology of PAP moving into Malayan heartland (eg. slogan 'Malaysian Malaysia'), given that LKY had won the state governance, and his ambition to win the federal government by attempting to align with parties from East Malaysia.

History does not have ‘What if’s. I could only sigh and say that it is this stupid , hopeless, racial authoritative government of my country, that forced to separate into 2 nations. But this, in a way creates an opportunity for Singaporeans to thrive and grow stronger with sheer determination amid super tough challenge to build a nation which they can be proud of. I could not imagine last time 'What if' that didn't happen, could Singaporeans just like Penangites crossing over the mainland without border restriction, and just like a part of big family?

Now I guess they have done so well and will never look back. Malaysia is, to a certain extent, still struggling with lots of issues, be it racial harmony, economy growth, social justice, wealth distribution, education, culture , language and religion. The identity of Malaysian (ourselves) always lies in the hand of Rakyat, and never in the hands of the Authority/government. I just wanna curse that stupid government who is still in power playing the same game for 54 years until now. How I wish we could at least one day break free from all these all cooked up and incited racial-and-faith disharmony/feud/hatred arguments. I feel that is already too much for a country which claims independence for so long. When can the government focus on real issues concerning the people??? or can they ever be bothered? 

Give the freedom and democracy back to Rakyat! We want to shape the nation in our own way and want to form the government which can call our own, and for our own. Only by then, the Independence Day celebration could be meaningful once again when everybody is ONE NATION ONE HEART.

No comments: