Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Beyond Mnite...

Imperial College Malaysia Night 2006: The Writing’s on the Wall, is finally over. Last Saturday night, is a night to remember – a wonderful show, filled with brilliant dances, superb good acting skill from most actors, nice and clever story plot with many twists/suspense , and impressive probes – all built up to a remarkable, successful night! Indeed, I’m proud of their effort to make this show, sharing their joy, although I don’t feel much sense of belonging to the show this year since I did not actively take part in it. I was just an usher and a cameraman that night. However, I watched their performances many times in the rehearsal. I knew it would be great. In the end, it is still. In my belief, I think my uni Mnite is the best of UK!

Speaking about the Mnite, previously I have the perception that it is always the show that played by Malaysian for Malaysian (most audience would be Malaysian – ka ki lang support ka ki lang) That night I was an usher, and I observed the crowd from various nationalities and cultures coming for the show, and then I changed my mind—thinking that this night does serve its purpose, to promote Malaysian Culture!!! I saw their face, they were indeed delighted and enjoyed with the show, I smiled. I hope they will return to see next year’s show and hopefully more non-Malaysian audiences coming for the show.

The Malaysia Night does stand out from all other Malaysian Society activities, undoubtedly. But I wish to see more – Msoc should not only be the place for all the Malaysian gathering around and making friends only…In fact, it should be more open and interact more with other societies in my uni (or with other uni), by providing members with more variety of activities. 'Devolution' of the almost fully occupied committe members to capable members, is the key- letting more non-central committe members to handle different job and organise and lead some other activities (which the committe are too busy for), and perhaps maintain them in a regular , and long run manner. Activities should not be too stereotype year after years, and should open for more variety of activities to suit the taste of different minority groups.

There is also an essential function of it to deliver message or updating news about the current issues happening in homeland. Sincerely, I feel that many Malaysian friends here do not much concern about what’s happening back in homeland. Maybe I am wrong, or maybe they are just like that even when they were in M’sia last time – lack of social awareness and do not care much about the national issues. That’s sad, I have to say. I know Msoc does his job to pass the message around about the job opportunities, probably that is something interested more members. However, that is not enough. I think Msoc should reform, in the sense that, linking back all Malaysian to the homeland, and prepare them, the future professionals and national elites, to serve for our country when graduated and return home. Since we are better equipped with the knowledge learned in overseas, we have the greater responsibility to utilize what we have learned and contribute to our country. (I always view knowledge as the source of power. And power comes with the responsibility. Greater power, greater responsibility). We are the hope of the nation. All of us have the duty to improve the status of the country together, and be able to differentiate what is wrong and right. (eg. To fight racism and not to be fooled by some vicious politician) Mentality is something we need to prepare for.

No comments: