Saturday, May 06, 2006

Here in this diary

I saw them performing last Saturday night. Besides anticipating for their upcoming new record, I still have worries about this band whether is still the same Ataris that I used to love so much. I know the band has transformed a lot during the recent years.

I wonder if there is any good rock music writters out there could write as beautiful, sensitive and deepen feelings in their songs as The Ataris does. I’m a total sucker for all those very emotional touching feelings songs that moved me. Kris Roe (the song writer of the band) is definitely a good writer for that kind of songs. Being an Ataris fan since about 8 years (or more) ago, I see the growth and maturation of Kris Roe, reflected a lot in his songs.The first song that caught me, and completely took my breathe away is ‘ San Dimas High School Football Rules’ – the first single from the album ‘ Blue Skies, Broken Hearts… Next 12 exits’ (1999). It’s one of the Best songs ever written from the band, which could be agreed by majority of their fans, and this is the only song that is still playing in every of their gig shows. And later I fall in love with other great songs coming from this album: 1*15*96 , I Won't Spend Another Night Alone , Broken Promise Ring. Their songs are so personal and related a lot to the song writer, like Kris Roe’s personal diary detailing the relationship and experience that he has gone through all these days. It is so beautiful and the feelings are so true. Of course he knew how to write some comedic romance songs: ‘My So Called Life’ and a very sad break-up song: Between You And Me (from ‘Looking forward to failure’ 1998). More than a songwriter, Kris Roe is also a very professional photographer. Buying their album is a pleasure to have the visual effect of each of their songs (which sometimes the photos could relate to the feelings of the song).

The follow-up album in 2001 ‘End Is Forever’ is a great album with collection of heartfelt and rocking songs. I particularly like this song: I.O.U. One Galaxy and other songs such as ‘Summer Wind Was Always Our Song’ (the first single off the album), Fast Times At Dropout High and How I Spent My Summer Vacation. The only time that The Ataris takes to the stage and makes their name appears in the mainstream media is when they release their 4th studio album ‘So Long, Astoria’ when they are signed to Columbia Label. The side lines that I quote in my blog ‘Being grown up isn't half as fun as growing up: These are the best days of our lives…’ is from the song ‘In This Diary’ ( the first single) and meanwhile the new title for my blog is from ‘Unopened Letter To The World’ (Kris Roe’s dedication to Emily Dickinson). Many people out there who are listening to mainstream media all these while, The Boys Of Summer is probably the first song they heard. I have to say it is the best cover song ever written, not to disappoint the original songwriter. My personal favourite from that ‘more mature’ album are: ‘Looking Back On Today’ (it’s very touching. Really.sob sob), ‘Eight Of Nine’ (meaningful song) and ‘The Saddest Song’( written for his daughter, for not being around with her when he is busying tour on her 5 years old b’day. He felt the regret the same way as his adolescent life without his father in his life).

Many songs meaning are not obvious for the first few times of listening (or at the first sight of lyric). It’s sometimes complex and deep in touch. More often, the songs need some time to grow on you. Many fans expressed their great disappointment in ‘So Long, Astoria’, I did, too. But gradually it sticks to my mind the longer I listen. Their songs are not like those fast-food type of pop punk songs which you can find abundant in MTV channel nowadays (like Simple Plan, Good Charlotte and Blink 182 etc.) It’s really music with hearts. They definitely influence me a lot and made a mark in my mind forever. Here I pay my tribute to this band, and I declare myself to be a forever fan of theirs. I hope the next album could be another soundtrack of my life.

No comments: